Friday, November 1, 2013

From the Cultural Climate Committee - 12 Years a Slave movie review



I had the privilege of seeing the premiere of 12 Years a Slave last month. It was released in theaters locally Friday, October 18. I don't typically make a habit of reviewing movies, but this is one worth sharing.

The movie is an historical drama film based on the 1853 autobiography, 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped in Washington DC after being lured from New York in 1841 and sold into slavery.

The movie opens with the most beautiful scene of Solomon and his family perfectly attired in period costume, living the most beautiful life as a free man and respected attorney in Saratoga Springs, NY. Within moments of the opening scene, he is duped and kidnapped and sold into slavery. 

This is the incredible true story of his fight for survival and freedom. Solomon spends 12 years in a living hell that is the most graphic, brutal, heart wrenching nightmare I have ever endured in a movie. It was painful for me to watch and on several occasions I had to close my eyes and weep. (One should feel sorry for my patient husband that had the misfortune of sitting next to me). The reason this is so painful is that this is history. Our history. Having said that, throughout the movie, there are beautiful moments where grace is extended. The acting is outstanding and captures the very best and worst of human nature.

The movie is rated R and for good reason. It is a very honest depiction of American slavery. I would highly recommend this movie to everyone. For  children of high school age and beyond, I think it's a must see. I can't think of a better way to fully appreciate how far we have come as a nation. I only had to endure this painful story for two hours. Imagine if I had been Solomon living out this nightmare for 12 years , or worse, one of the many unnamed for a lifetime. Rarely does a movie leave such a profound and lasting impact. It has been over a month and I still can't stop thinking about it.

Michele Stowers
Committee Member

No comments:

Post a Comment